Call us now ! Send us an email E 11 Mile Road Royal Oak United States

Back to Top

Call Toll Free: 1-800-LAW (529)-5454 | Free Initial Consultation
Or Talk Directly to an Attorney 248-721-9222

How Can We Help?



    Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs)

    Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs)

    Royal Oak Qualified Domestic Relations Order Lawyers

    Family Law Lawyers Serving Clients in Southeast Michigan Since 1974

    A qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) is a judgment, decree, or order included in a divorce judgment dealing with pension funds and/or an employee benefit plan. A QDRO or a similar legal order is used to split and change the ownership of retirement funds, making sure the employee's divorcing spouse receives their fair share of assets.

    Qualified domestic relations orders are complex legal documents, and an incomplete or incorrect one can put your future financial security at risk. Since 1974, Melder & Melder, P.C. has helped people with complex transactional needs like these, and we have the experience to help you draft an effective qualified domestic relations order.

    I Just Got Divorced. Why Do I Need to Get a QDRO Right Now?

    If you delay in obtaining a QDRO, EDRO or other appropriate order, you may lose valuable rights and run the risk of forfeiting the benefits awarded to you in your divorce.
    Get all of the necessary orders properly filed and in place as soon as possible. Delaying in moving forward may cost you all of your rights.
    Types of Plans
    Qualified domestic relations orders establish the non-employee's legal right to receive payments, or a designated percentage of the pension or employee benefit plan's account balance, for:
    • Alimony
    • Child support
    • Marital property rights for a spouse, former spouse, child, or other dependent of a participant
    Our attorneys have experience with a broad range of plans, such as:
    • Private and corporate pension and benefit plans
      • 401(k)
      • 403(b)
      • 457 retirement plans
      • Defined benefit monthly payment
    • Military, federal, and state government plans
      • QCOs for military retired pay
      • QDROs for military and certain government retirement plans
      • TIDs for individual retirement accounts (IRAs)
      • COAPs and RBCOs for federal and state civil service plans
    Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association/College Retirement Equity Fund (TIAA/CREF) accounts can be divided by a QDRO under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
    IRAs may be divided by qualifying court orders for military retired pay under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act (USFSPA). We also help clients with state and county retirement plans known as Eligible Domestic Relations Orders (EDROs).

    Get a free initial phone consultation with an attorney.

    We provide more than just legal representation. We provide confidence that you are doing things right.

    For a free telephone consultation with one of our attorneys, call our Royal Oak law office contact us online with a brief description of your legal concerns.

    Melder & Melder, P.C.
    2304 E 11 Mile Road
    Royal Oak, MI 48067
    (One Block West Off I-75)
    Phone: 248-721-9222
    Fax: 248-541-6332

    Call Toll Free: 1-800-LAW (529)-5454

    Licensed & Insured

    The attorneys of the Royal Oak, Michigan, law firm of Melder & Melder, P.C, provide quality legal services to clients throughout southeast Michigan in communities such as Detroit, Berkley, Birmingham, Canton, Dearborn, Farmington Hills, Livonia, Madison, Heights, Mt. Clemens, Novi, Pontiac, Southfield, Sterling Heights, Troy, Utica and Warren. 

    Oakland County | Macomb County | Wayne County | Genesee County | St. Clair County | Livingston County | Washtenaw County